No matter what you are trying to accomplish, the best way to get there is to set goals. Goals give you motivation, focus, and direction. They also provide you with benchmarks to determine whether or not you are succeeding . But even the thought of setting goals for yourself can be daunting, especially if you’ve never done so before. Or, what if you have set goals for yourself in the past but you were unable to achieve them? Do you tell yourself goal setting doesn’t work? I know so many people that just gave up because they felt it was too overwhelming. But goal setting doesn’t have to be complicated. Let’s break it down so that you can achieve your goals today.
- Set goals that motivate you! Goals should be personal and important to you. There should be value in accomplishing them. If you aren’t able to identify why each goal is important specifically to you, it will be hard to take action.
- Break your overall goal down into small specific goals. Take weigh loss for an example. IF your goal is to lose 50 pounds, break it down into smaller more achievable goals. Set a goal of losing five pounds per month for the next 10 months. This makes the bigger goal more accessible. And as you complete the small milestones, you’ll be more motivated to continue.
- Write your goals down. The physical act of writing something down makes it more tangible and gives you a sense of accountability to achieve the goal. The wording is important. Don’t use “I would like to”. Give your words power. Use “I will”. Or be even more specific. Frame it like it has already happened and literally manifest it – “I lost 50 pounds!”
- Make an action plan to achieve your goals. You can’t just focus on the end result. You have to plan out the steps it will take you to get there. Your ultimate goal is to lose 50 pounds and your short term goal is to lose 5 pounds for the next 10 months. How are you going to do that? Are you going to work out 30 minutes a day for 5 days every week? Are you going to make lifestyle changes? Are you going to look at your nutrition? Baby action steps lead to big results.
- Periodically adjust your goals. As you get older or your life changes, your goals may change as well. Be flexible and allow yourself room to grow. Adjust your goals as needed. Goals give us direction, but they aren’t set in stone.
- Share your goal with someone. Saying your goals out loud are just like writing them down. It makes them feel real and helps hold you accountable. It sets you up for success and support while you are achieving them.
- Don’t give up! When we are faced with failure or things just don’t seem to be going as quickly as planned, we often give up on our goals. Some of the most successful people in history failed countless times before they finally achieved their goal. And they all had to take a step back and reevaluate at times before they succeeded. But they ultimately did succeed because they never gave up. They believed in themselves and kept trying until they achieved what they set out to do.
If you’re still not sure how to achieve your goals, I can help. My services include health coaching, holistic nutrition coaching, acupuncture, and yoga classes. Contact us today to book a free discovery call to find out how i can help you get started achieving your goals! 912-424-2871